Water Polo

Water+Polo

Cian Curtis and Shannon Curtis, Writer

Water Polo became a sensation on the Spalding campus with the team’s first season four years ago. Coach Wagner and Coach Davis gathered interest by recruiting off season athletes, largely from the swim and lacrosse teams. Also, Spalding is the only school to have a co-ed water polo team in the MIAA conference. This season’s record of 6-10 is the building block for next season. 

Spalding’s varsity team competed in the Beast of the East Invitational. In close fashion, the Cavs lost to Cathedral Prep from Erie, PA. The game went into double overtime and ended with a close score of 13-12. Spalding’s successful season was led by the team’s four Seniors, Michael Rampulla, Joshua Hutter, Ryan D’Angelo, and Michael Venit. Ryan D’Angelo, the team’s goalie, holds the team record of the most saves. With over 10 returning varsity Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen players, the 2022 Spalding water polo team will be a force to be reckoned with!

During the fall season, the water polo team has games almost every Tuesday and Thursday. According to Michael Venit and Michael Rampulla, “Water polo is extremely fun but challenging.” Joshua Hutter says, “Water polo is very competitive and physically demanding, but still fun nonetheless – even the practices!” Ryan D’Angelo suggests that, “Any student interested in water polo should give it a try and they’d have a place on the team no matter what their skill level is.” Rampulla, D’Angelo, Venit, and Hutter all agree that water polo is a great sport and it’s a great opportunity to make new friends, try a new sport, and get in shape. It’s a great way to experience a sport that’s both challenging and exciting. In addition, water polo is also a great way to improve your swimming skills, as well as speed and endurance.

What makes water polo such a success at Spalding? The personal, physical, and mental challenge, the team camaraderie, the “no experience” necessary, the friendships that are made, and most importantly, the fun! Come out and join the Archbishop Spalding Water Polo JV and Varsity teams!

Follow Spalding water polo’s Instagram page to see pictures and videos from the season (@spalding_waterpolo). For information about next season, check out Archbishop Spalding’s website.