Track Round Up

Annabella McKernan, Writer

The track stars are showing up this school year, breaking records left and right. Last summer a new track was installed around Whittles Field and it’s been a great help. However, the track doesn’t do the running the Spalding students do, and they have been putting in all the work. 

Coaches shared their success at the SPIRE Institute and Academy this winter saying, “The quartet of Jalaia Creary, Athena Stith, Arden Martino, and Madi Fuerst set a school record in the 4x200m dash with a time of 1:49.55. The 60m dash school record was broken by the hulk himself Max Moss running 7.35 seconds. The 60m hurdles school record was taken down by running 9.04 seconds. Kaden Curtis broke the school 400m record running 51.46. Spalding Senior Thomas Hinton broke the school 800m record running 1:58.72.”

At the Virginia Showcase, Coach DeRosier noted that “Kaden Curtis ran the all time fastest 300m dash for Spalding running 36.62 breaking Kyle Baker’s record of 36.81 seconds. Grace Doreshner ran 5:28.91 in the 1600m run which is 5th all time at Spalding. Chancellor DeRosier ran 8.40 seconds in the 55m hurdles which is 3rd Spalding all time. Amanda Burke ran a personal record in the 1000m with a time of 3:25.00 which is second fastest all time. AJ Perdue ran exceptionally well holding the freshman records in both the 300m 37.34 and the 500m 1:13.36 seconds.”

We are all excited to see what these runners will stride for next, and as Coach Phil DeRosier always says, “COMMITMENT, CONSISTENCY, COMPLIANCE = CHAMPION.”