2021 Pep Rally!

Emily Baddour, Editor-In-Chief

After a year of missing so many school events due to the pandemic, Archbishop Spalding was able to welcome the Pep Rally back for 2021. It was held this year on October 8th. The pep rally was the kickoff to the Friday night football game under the lights and the homecoming dance held on Saturday. It was a great way for all of Spalding’s students and faculty to get together and show their school spirit. The students all wore their favorite Spalding gear to show their school pride. It is a day all students look forward to each and every year.

In the past, the pep rally took place inside the gym with the entire student body and faculty. This year, due to the pandemic precautions in place at school, the pep rally took place outside. Since we were outside, we could take off our masks while still maintaining a safe distance. It was a nice break from the masks and everyone that I talked to said it was the most normal they have felt at school since before covid. 

The Pep Rally got started with Arianna Camper ‘22 singing the national anthem. She did a beautiful job! Then, our student President Jack Tiger ‘22 and Vice President Drew Somerville ‘23 announced the activities that were going to take place during the pep rally. There was a tug of war, potato sack races, dodgeball, kickball, and a field goal contest. Students from each grade were able to participate in them and the faculty joined in as well! One particular thing that all of Spalding’s students were excited for was the announcement of the Homecoming Court. The court consisted of a king and queen for each grade but in addition to the senior king and queen, the seniors also had a jester and jesterette. The students voted by filling out a Google form during spirit week and the titles were presented at the pep rally.

Along with all of the fun activities and announcements, the Spalding community was able to watch several performances. The band, the JV and Varsity Cheer Team, and the Varsity Dance Team all performed. The cheer and dance teams included senior boys in their own special performances. All the students cheered them on. The boys did great! 

The perfect end to the pep rally was the singing of the Alma Mater. The whole Spalding community came together and sang. You could hear and feel the students bonding together during this special time. Not only did the pep rally leave the students feeling excited about the remainder of the school year, this school wide event will be cherished forever.