A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Eddie Hagigh, Editor-in-chief

While the ClearEdge Innovation Center represents the next chapter of Archbishop Spalding’s story, mere feet down the hall shows symbolically a timeline of its history. 

Room 109 has nearly every faction of Spalding technology, both new and old. Above the doorway sits the large but obsolete speakers that remain (still in activity) from Spalding’s past. Speakers that once alerted contemporary students and faculty alike of the deadly terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, according to Ms. P, among many other things. Speakers that, as I sit in class, closely resemble the ones I noticed at my grandparents’ beach house as a little boy, which were said to be from the 1960s. I know ours aren’t nearly that old, but I will keep imagining them as such.

Look beyond the speakers to the center of the room and you’ll notice the (literally) old-school chalkboard. A chalkboard that, in most rooms, has since been plastered over with whiteboard. Room 109 is one of, if not the only, room without any whiteboards.

Look above the chalkboard and you’ll see one of the glorious flat screen TVs that adorn most of today’s classrooms, a modern contrast. Below it, sits a desktop computer and, if a teacher is present, his or her laptop. Students sit with their own device at their desk, a ramification of the BYOD policy that has only been in effect since 2015.

Look outside and your eyes take hold of the beautiful Senior garden. Modern students sometimes hear about how the garden was once adorned with significantly more trees. These days, as more students and faculty have the ability to eat outside, you will sometimes see select groups of people out there when the weather is nice. 

Unfortunately, you also see masks and COVID-era sanitization equipment in the garden. You also notice all students and teachers wearing masks inside, along with odd walls of plexiglass separating teachers from in-person students. While these are all necessary precautions, they remain frustrating circumstances of our times.

But up upon a cabinet, in the northwest corner of the room, sits the word “BELIEVE”. It has sat there for many years.

Believe that this is only a chapter of Spalding’s — and our world’s — history. Believe that better days are ahead. Believe that the next chapter of Spalding’s history brings to current and prospective students all the glamour and promise these chapters brought to those of the past. 

Believe that, one day, that’s what this will all be. History.