Christmas “Cav Style”

Annabella McKernan, Writer

Spalding has always been known for having a great deal of spirit, and when it comes to the Christmas season that doesn’t change. Every bit of the season of Christmas is celebrated to the highest extent at Archbishop Spalding. The Spalding choir sings and the band plays in a magical Christmas concert. Every year Seniors dress up as santas and elves, lining the hallways blasting Christmas music and giving out candy canes; however, this year many were concerned that none of this would happen.

As a Freshman, I have only heard of all these fun traditions and I was not anticipating much this year. However, Archbishop Spalding exceeded my expectations of a Cavalier Christmas, both at school and during a pandemic. The first big announcement to celebrate the “reason for the season” was the whole last week of school before break being dedicated as a “Christmas Spirit” week. Monday we wore ugly sweaters and Christmas colors, Tuesday was dress-up day, Thursday again was Christmas colors and your ugly sweaters, and Friday was the final Christmas dress-up day. It was a blast seeing everyone’s outfits and holiday spirit on display. To close it out, we enjoyed Seniors rushing into our classrooms blaring holiday music, passing out candy canes, and spreading Christmas cheer.

Spalding’s talented choir and band came through for all of us and spread their holiday spirit. Through social media we were able to listen to the mixed chorus choir sing, Mr. Heming’s Guitar Ensemble played Carol of the Bells, and Chorus 101 shared Christmas cheer through their amazing voices. The Spalding music department put on a show this year; it was beautiful.

The Spalding community brought bundles of the Christmas spirit in this year of uncertainty to us both in school and at home. One classmate even put a whole concert on, asking for song requests. Spalding never disappoints or fails to make the spirit bright. From our family to yours, Merry Cavalier Christmas and a Happy New Year!