High School Sports in a COVID-19 World – November Roundup

Luke Linden, Editor

On March 11th, 2020, the entire Spalding community was sent home due to COVID-19. Sports were soon cancelled, prematurely ending seasons, as well as the Seniors’ last chance to win it all in their respective sports. More bad news came whirling into everyone’s lives when the fall season of 2020 seemed in jeopardy. Although this was the case, the MIAA and IAAM decided to safely resume fall sports in October. Our teams have adjusted in a remarkable fashion, winning many of their opening competitions:

Football: Football had a strong start to the season as they battled Concordia Prep on October 31st. The game was headlined by a strong touchdown run from senior Shamar Smith, as well as a spectacular endzone grab from fellow senior Zakee Wheatley. The team’s great start was also recognized as Head Coach, Kyle Schmitt, was awarded the Baltimore Ravens High School Football Coach of the Week award.

Soccer: Both the men and women’s soccer programs have had successful starts to their respective seasons. The men’s team was able to win an overtime thriller against Annapolis Area Christian School to begin their year and they look for more exciting wins as they continue through the end of the fall. As for the women’s team, they also started strong by winning against Mount De Sales academy.

Field Hockey: Both the JV and Varsity field hockey teams were able to get dominant wins against their opponents to jumpstart their fall seasons. The JV team won by a score of 2 to 0 and the Varsity team won by a mark of 6 to 0.

Cross Country: JV and Varsity Cross Country both started their seasons on October 31st against MSJ in an unarguably unusual season.. Both the JV and Varsity squads ran very well, but the highlight of the meet was senior Cole Ruiz finishing in first place in the varsity race. 

Other fall sports look to get off to fast starts in the coming weeks as more season openers are on the way. Sports bring hope to many groups of people, including our Spalding community. In a time where it seems like bad news comes across the screens of our televisions every day, the reemergence of sports at Spalding this year has given students and everyone associated with Spalding something to look forward to. Our sports teams have succeeded at the start of their seasons, proving their ability to adjust and succeed simultaneously. As we look forward to more victories in the coming months, our community’s resilience will continue to get tested. Sports will undoubtedly help to keep all of us strong in this difficult time.