Adopt-A-Family

Adopt-A-Family

Edward Baddour, Writer

Each year, Archbishop Spalding takes part in a service project called Adopt-A-Family. Every homeroom is assigned a family and each and every student is asked to participate. We are provided a list of names, ages, and sizes of the children who are in the family we are assigned.

We bring in donations of clothing, toys, games, winter coats, hats, and gloves for the children. In addition, we also donate non-perishable food items, cleaning supplies and a $10 monetary donation per student that goes towards purchasing a Giant Food gift card for the entire family. After all of the gifts have been brought in, our homeroom brings in Christmas wrapping paper and we wrap them together. We do not personally deliver the gifts. They are delivered to St. Bernadette’s and then the families come to pick up their packages.
This year, Archbishop Spalding generously helped fifty-eight families. The volunteers for Adopt-A-Family were very impressed and thankful to our school for our kind actions and donations. The families who we donate to are from the local area. This includes Anne Arundel County, Prince George’s County, and Baltimore County.

Our homeroom teachers make this a very fun event for the students. We compete to see who brings in the most donations and whoever wins gets a free Chick-Fil-A breakfast. This makes it even more fun and competitive. According to Hunter Stokes, a senior at Archbishop Spalding, historically the homerooms that usually bring in the most donations have been Mr. Sturgis, Mr. Sthele, and Mrs. Malcolm.
Although we had a little competitive fun to see who could contribute the most, every student, family and staff member at Archbishop Spalding never hesitates to give back to the community. Adopt-A-Family is considered one of the most important service projects but we also participate in food drives, service trips, and other important events and causes. We are thankful to Spalding for teaching us to be good role models for our community and for teaching us just how meaningful service is. Thank you also to Hunter Stokes for allowing me to interview him about his experience with Adopt-A-Family.