Environmental Club Keeping Spalding Green

Kelly Quraishi '21 is using the Green Club recycling bins to tidy up the schools.

Natali VanBourgondien, Writer

Spalding prides itself on being a Green school. One of the ways Spalding maintains its positive reputation is through its Environmental Club.

The Environmental Club at Spalding focuses on raising awareness about the environment and ensuring that Spalding plays its part in making a positive impact on the environment. The Environmental Club takes pride in their several projects including the hydroponic tower garden, the monitoring of schoolwide recycling, and participating in environmental efforts even off school grounds.

President Alex Terres and Vice President Victoria Melville lead the Environmental Club in organizing these projects. They have participated in several clean-ups around the community including the Kent Island clean-up, the International coastal clean-up, and even clean-up on the school campus. It is very important to stay aware of what you are throwing away and where the trash is going.

Regarding the trash that unfortunately falls short of making it into a trash can or recycling bin, the Environmental Club takes time to make sure it goes where it belongs. Recycling is another important objective of the club. The club figures out methods of encouraging students to recycle and be conscious of their decisions. The blue bins with lids in the cafeteria are a new strategy of getting students to only recycle certain materials and products. Additionally, the club has created posters and a commercial to encourage recycling.

The hypotonic tower garden is a pride and joy for the Environmental Club. The idea is to be able to grow fresh herbs that can be utilized in the cafeteria. It is environmentally efficient and beneficial for the students. Ingrow indoors on a cylindrical tower situated in one of the science rooms. The hypotonic tower garden enables the plants to grow vertically by cycling water throughout the structure. The club is constantly looking for new ways to participate in community efforts in improving the environment and trying to find alternatives to environmentally harmful habits.