LIONS, WARDROBES, AND CAPPIES, OH MY!

Back to Article
Back to Article

LIONS, WARDROBES, AND CAPPIES, OH MY!

Jordan Goodyear, Editor

It’s that time of year again: pumpkin spice is wafting through the air, and it’s just cold enough to wear a sweater in the morning and regret it later in the afternoon when it gets warmer. However, those aren’t the only things that are beginning new again this year. Spalding’s own Cappie award-winning theatre troupe is starting up again, and they are ready to shine on and off stage. 

The Cappies of Baltimore is a high-school student-run theatre awards organization; it’s like the Tony’s of high school if you will. Lauren Schene, the director of Spalding Theatre and a Spalding alumnus, stated, “I am hopeful that we will do well in Cappies again this year. Obviously, after winning Best Musical our first year participating, I would love for us to win big again… while the Cappies is an awards program, and coming home with multiple trophies is exciting, the main goal of the Cappies is to celebrate and appreciate high school theatre, so the very fact that we are able to participate in this program, meet new students who share our same passion for theatre, and learn from our peers is truly all that matters and a wonderful experience for all involved.”

Spalding Theatre will start their fall season off with a play that will take you on an epic journey to the distant land of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by Joseph Robinette, based off of the book of the same name by C.S. Lewis, and the musical that they will submit to Cappies in the spring is The Little Mermaid. Lauren Schene’s vision for the show “is one that is simplistic and magical…  The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is a show that I have wanted to direct for a while, but I didn’t feel it was the right fit until this year.” She also loves the show “because of its relation to Catholicism. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe parallels our Catholic teachings in the characters, namely, Aslan, The White Witch, and Lucy, Susan, Peter, and Edmund. This story tells of belief, temptation, forgiveness, and love. It shows that even if we stray from our beliefs, we will always be forgiven and welcomed back with open arms.”

Natalia Pereira (‘20), the lead critic of the Spalding Cappies Team this year, is “super excited to lead the team this year.” She admits that she’s “a bit nervous” and “really I just want to make everyone happy and be the best critic I can be!” She’s playing Lucy, the youngest Pevensie sibling. Natalia said, “I love Lucy so much… I think my favorite thing about Lucy is that she is caring and fearless.  She’s brave enough to put herself in danger to fulfill the prophecy and save her friend, Mr. Tumnus. Plus, she does it all with a smile and great enthusiasm.”

Jenny Tilden (‘20) is playing Susan, the eldest sister of the four Pevensie siblings. Jenny said that “The children are very adventurous throughout their adventures, and Suan acts as a motherly figure since the children’s parents aren’t there. I really admire her character because she is so strong and makes them (the children) her responsibility.” She also states that her bow and arrow are very awesome and tough, and she can’t wait to show them off when everybody comes to see the show!

Ms. Schene also said that she hopes she “will see a large percentage of our student body in the audience…without their cell phones, of course!” The show’s dates are November 15th and 16th at 7 pm, and November 17th at 2 pm, so come support the school, have a culture-filled afternoon and/or evening, and get those extra credit points for English!