Spalding Community Hosts Mental Health Matters Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eddie Hagigh, Writer

Mental health is certainly an incredibly serious and important topic, which is why Spalding decided to host a two-part event on Tuesday, April 30, 2019, in order to shed light on the topic and understand the importance of it.

The event began with a “fair”, so to speak, during the school day that was open to all students. Kona Ice, Pathways, the Anne Arundel County Department of Health, Community Mental Health Associates, the Anne Arundel County Conflict Resolution Center, the Counseling Department, Campus Ministry, and the College Counseling Department were all included in the fair. Of course, who could forget Doc? Miss Marcie’s dog, Doc, also made a celebrity appearance to the event as a well-known Spalding icon. Miss Marcie herself summed up the fair well, saying, “Students were able to go outside during their lunch period and some classes came outside to talk to the professionals, have Kona Ice, and enjoy the beautiful day.”

In addition to the fair, Dr. Duane Isava and Dr. Brad Beam spoke to parents and faculty in the LMC after school about how to balance what can sometimes be an overwhelming high school life. Miss Marcie said that the presenters were “so helpful, down to earth and interesting”. Certainly, it helps to have relaxed, engaging presenters, especially on a topic that can make some feel isolated, as if it would be difficult to understand the issue unless someone were in their position.

Thankfully, Miss Marcie told me that the program will return next year. While it is inevitable to consider the undeniably good news that this means the Kona Ice trucks will be back, it is far more important to consider the significance of mental health issues too. It is very necessary to be educated as a community about the dangers of mental illness, as well as what we can do to manage the crisis when we see it. Our Mental Health Matters Day was a great start, and now it is up to all of us to continue the momentum.