Ms. Storch and Mr. Medoff Receive Teacher Awards

Abby Jeanneault and Marina LoRoe, Writer

Ms. Storch won the Teacher of the Year Award

Mr. Medoff won the Spalding Spirit Award

Ms. Storch, Archbishop Spalding High School’s Latin teacher, received the Teacher of the Year award during the Catholic Schools week mass.  Ms. Storch is an active member of the Spalding community. She teaches all levels of Latin and has been at Spalding for 10 years.  Over the summer she took a group of foreign language students to Europe. All of the students on the trip had an awesome time. They visited the following places in Southern France: Aix-en Provence, Avignon, Pont du Gard, Glanum and Nice. In Italy the students visited, Cinque Terre, Pisa, Florence, Siena, Sorrento, Pompeii and Rome.

“Being selected as teacher of the year for Spalding came as a complete shock,” Ms. Storch said.

“In fact, I told Mrs. Mahar and Mrs. Cannon that they were crazy when I got up onto the stage. With all the great teachers here at Spalding, I certainly was not expecting this honor,” she said.

Mr. Medoff received the Spirit of Spalding Award. This award began after, Kathy Sanders, a beloved school nurse for over 25 years passed away in the Spring of 2008. The Spalding community then began looking for a way to keep the remembrance of Mrs. Sanders alive and in everyone’s hearts. The award is given to a teacher who exudes her spirit. This year the award went the English teacher and baseball coach, Mr. Medoff.

“Quite simply I just love the people here, students and faculty alike,” Mr. Medoff said, “It is an environment or rather a community that I want to be a part of.  So I don’t really think of it as me doing anything other than what I want to be doing. It is like a family here and I am very fortunate to be a part of this family.”