Spalding Cavineers Looking to Build on Latest Progress

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cavineers win the Chairman's Award

Cavineers win the Chairman's Award

Cavineers win the Chairman's Award

Cavineers win the Chairman's Award

Eddie Hagigh

From March 16th-17th, Archbishop Spalding’s Robotics Team put their hard work to the test at a Chesapeake District For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST) event. Hosted at McDonough High School in Owings Mills, there was plenty of competition for the Cavineers, also known as Team 4541.

The theme of this year’s events is “Destination Deep Space”. The goal of Destination Deep Space is to store rubber balls, used as cargo, inside the robot through the use of hatches. Later, the robot goes to climb different “HAB” levels, simulating competition in an actual outer space “habitat” before taking off. A given team earns three points for holding cargo and two for successful use of a hatch.

Known as Geoff, this year’s robot has had many hours of hard work poured into it, ensuring its success. Carter Miller (‘19) serves as Geoff’s driver at competitions, with the rest of the Cavineers divided into two parts. The first half handles the technical side of things; they are the task teams and the leadership teams of the Cavineers. The second half handles the non-technical side, such as business and safety. And while every member makes their own significant contribution to Team 4541, the stars of the weekend were found among the Business Team, who won the Entrepreneurship Award for the Cavineers! Congrats to all members of the Business Team and the Cavineers as a whole for this impressive achievement.

In the week since the FIRST competition, the Cavineers have been hard at work on Geoff. From Monday, March 18th to Thursday, March 21st, the team put in six hours of work on the robot. If you consider six hours multiplied by the total number of Cavineers, that is a ton of effort being put towards Geoff — and this is only a typical week for our guys. In addition, the team had another FIRST competition the following weekend, March 23-24, where the team was actually able to be a finalist in the overall competition!

If the team performance was not already enough to close two solid weekends, the Cavineers also received the Chairman’s Award, which Mrs. Brunner says is the most prestigious a team can earn at a FIRST competition — a first time achievement for the team. In addition, with their awesome performance, the Cavineers have qualified for the District Championships hosted from April 11-13 at George Mason University. Congratulations to everyone involved in ensuring the team’s success.

Also, a special thanks to A.J. Morea (‘21) and Mrs. Brunner for working with and informing our staff about the event in order to write this article amidst the team’s busy schedule. Despite their recent success, A.J. and the rest of the Cavineers are aware of the implications of each competition on the team. “Although the robot is ‘new and improved’, there still lies a tough challenge ahead of us, and it will determine the outcome of the rest of our season.”