Our Cav Spirit!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Our Cav Spirit!

Students and Mrs. Mahar show their school spirit.

Avia Gerstel (‘21), Writer/Editor

Spirit Week is one of the most anticipated weeks at Archbishop Spalding. Students trade their uniforms for costumes, and glitter is seen all over the hallway floors.

Spirit Week kicked off on October 6th with the Color a Cav run, where students ran two miles around the school grounds while a rainbow of colored powder was poured on them.

To kick off the school week, the theme for Monday was Character Day. Students dressed up as their favorite movie, book, comic book, or TV show character. Some of the costumes were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Superman and Wonderwoman, and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.

The theme for Tuesday was Zoo Day, a new addition to Spirit Week. Students dressed up as their favorite animal, most people wearing onesies and relaxing in their classes.

Thursday was Class Color Day and the much anticipated Powderpuff game. Students went all out in their class color to support their grade. In the first game, Freshman vs. Seniors, the seniors won. The next game, featuring the Juniors and Sophomores, finished with the Juniors winning. The last game against the Juniors and the Seniors ended very closely with the Seniors winning for the second year in a row.

The Pep Rally on Friday began with the Senior 8 Choir singing the National Anthem, and the SGA president and vice president, Leo Depole and Isabelle Simmons, greeting the students. This was followed by the annual Tug of War where the Juniors rained victorious over the Freshman. The Wind Ensemble drummers took a break from their usual trash cans to perform another piece involving more conventional instruments. Several people from different grades participated in Dodgeball, where the Juniors claimed another win.

Throughout the Pep Rally, multiple sports such as soccer, water polo, sailing, volleyball, equestrian, field hockey, tennis, cross country, and football all announced their upcoming games and senior nights.

To conclude the end of the Pep Rally, Wind Ensemble played the Fight Song and the Alma Mater while the students joyously sang along.

Following the Pep Rally was the Spirit Fair. Many clubs and extracurricular groups set up booths and sold items to benefit their groups. For instance, Key Club did a duck pull, Tri-M sold doughnuts, and the class of 2022 sold tacos in a bag.

The homecoming football game was against Calvert Hall with a Blackout theme. Even though the team lost 7-21, they never gave up their determination to always come back stronger, winning the next football game against Gilman School.

Spirit Week concluded with the homecoming dance in the New Gym on Saturday. Many Spalding students attended in their nicest dresses and ties and danced the night away. Throughout the week, our school celebrated the homecoming of alumni, and we truly showed our “Cav” Spirit.