Girls in S.T.E.M.

Taylor Washington, President of the Girls in S.T.E.M. Club

My name is Taylor Washington and I am the founder of Girls in S.T.E.M. at Archbishop Spalding High School.  While doing research for the club I found that only 15% of the engineering workforce was made up of women I knew I had to help replenish the population of engineering by sparking the interest in younger generations.

Girls in S.T.E.M. allows for young women to communicate with individuals that share a common dream. Each week they are able to participate in a project pertaining to a different area of S.T.E.M. As the founder of Girls in S.T.E.M., I vowed to help change the ideals that young women have for S.T.E.M. fields. Girls in S.T.E.M. does not want to force one S.T.E.M. field on girls but provide a place where students can discover the different fields.

What is the Girls in S.T.E.M. Club?

Girls in S.T.E.M. is a community of girls trying to achieve the same goal which is becoming a women in the S.T.E.M. field without the stress of not feeling like they do not belong. Girls in S.T.E.M allows for young women to complete projects and have the opportunity to talk with women that have experience in numerous S.T.E.M. fields.

A picture of young women participating in the 2016 National Youth Leadership Forum (NYLF): Engineering & Technology at the University of California Berkeley.

What Inspired You To Create The Chapter of Girls in S.T.E.M.?

I was enlightened with the idea of Girls in S.T.E.M. during an Envision engineering camp this past summer. I was able to solve real-world engineering projects in a group of exceptional engineering student who each had their own way of discerning a problem. It showed me what girls were able to do when you gave them computers and some wires. The camp allowed me to meet different girls with unique interests in engineering.

What Do Girls Bring To S.T.E.M. Fields?

Incorporating girls in engineering is important to engineering, it brings creativity, diversity, and curiosity. Even though engineering deals with a lot of numbers it still needs people to create the arrangement of these numbers and girls have these creative abilities. Girls bring diversity to S.T.E.M. or in other words girls bring a different way of solving a problem. The S.T.E.M. workforce needs students that have a lot of curiosity yet are still skeptical about each and every finding.

Where Do I See Girls in S.T.E.M. In A Few Years?

I see the Archbishop Spalding chapter of Girls in S.T.E.M. providing young women with internships, scholarships and motivating each student to become the best candidate   they could possibly become. I see the 15% of girls pursing S.T.E.M. jobs increase to 50%. I see myself being a part of that 50%.

Archbishop Spalding’s Girls in S.T.E.M. Meeting.

We need all hands on deck, and that means clearing hurdles for women and girls as they navigate careers in science, technology, engineering and math.”

– First Lady Michelle Obama